One of the many wonderful advantages of living in the Blue Ridge Mountains are the hundreds of surrounding Christmas Tree Farms where you can visit, pick your own tree out, and bring it home. There is nothing like the smell of a fresh cut Christmas Tree to kick off the holiday season!
Fortunately, there are a number of these "Choose n' Cut" Christmas Tree Farms within just a few minutes of our home town of Maggie Valley, NC. In addition to getting your Christmas tree, you can also get wreaths and other decorations as well. All of these farms will cut the tree for you, wrap it, and assist you with loading it in or on your vehicle.
Prices are generally by the foot and vary depending on the farm. Some of the more popular and well-known tree farms tend to be a little more than other, smaller operations.
Many also have hot coffee, hot chocolate and hot apple cider available for visitors. I know our kids love the spiced cider each year.
Most tree farms sell Fraser Fir trees, which grow incredibly well in Western NC, however, some farms may have additional types of trees available as well. If you're looking for something other than a Fraser Fir, you'll want to call ahead to see what they have available.
Most farms beginning selling trees the weekend before Thanksgiving, and remain open until Christmas or just before.
Maggie Valley NC Christmas Tree Farms
Here is a current list of Christmas Tree Farms in the Maggie Valley, NC area:
Mehaffey Tree Farm
Offering "Choose n' Cut" locally grown Fraser firs. Family owned and operated since 1984, they take pride in growing trees and providing the highest quality trees and services to our customers. 24 Corner Drive Waynesville, NC 28785 - 828-926-1424
Boyd Mountain Christmas Tree Farm
Choose N' Cut Fraser Firs. A wonderful family experience walking through the manicured fields and selecting your own tree! 445 Boyd Farm Road, Waynesville, NC 28785 - (828) 926-8888
Smoky Mountain Christmas Tree Farm
The beautiful old red barn is surrounded by Fraser Fir Christmas trees. Walk around and choose from any of the beautiful trees - 756 Hemphill Road, Waynesville, NC 28785 - 828-400-2933
WNC Christmas Trees
Choose N' Cut Fraser Fir Christmas trees of the highest quality and are grown in their native soil right here in Waynesville, NC on our tree farm. 557 Hemphill Road, Waynesville, NC 28785 - 828-926-3224 or 828-226-0747
Tips for getting a Christmas Tree in Maggie Valley
Here are a few helpful tips for getting a Christmas Tree from a local Maggie Valley Christmas Tree Farm:
- Bring a truck, car with a roof rack or trailer - Stuffing a large tree into your small car isn't easy and can damage your beautiful tree.
- Bring cash or a checkbook - Many of the small farms don't accept credit or debit cards.
- Bring your camera - We always have a blast looking for that perfect tree each year, and our annual trips to get a tree, have turned into a family tradition. I'm so glad I always took photos.
- Plan ahead - The farms are often very busy on the weekends. If you can, go during the week, or early on the weekends. Also, local farms do often sell-out. Don't wait until the last minute.
- Wear boots and dress warm - The mountains can be very cold in November and December, and there will often be snow on the ground, as you can see in the photos.